Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Imran yes we “Khan’t”, even when assets declared

Mr. Khan is a man of great integrity, a true son of Pakistan and a great Muslim (the "he's a Mossad agent" conspiracy theories seem to have died down). He has built a hospital that cures cancer, has committed himself to education, eradicating corruption and promoting idealism. He wants a free Pakistan, wants to throw out the imperial troops of the Empire (in this case, not Darth Vader’s boys but rather the constantly meddling American Army, the infernal CIA and devilspawn NATO). All in all, his scheme sounds noble, leaving his audience the impression of Mr. Khan sitting atop a white horse, glittering scimitar held in one hand as he holds the reigns in the other with a determined look on his face, as if he is out to behead the enemy during a time of war (and the holy justified jihad look is complete). The urban elite finds him to be a “cool” politician who has rock stars performing at his rallies. Others feel that they have been let down by the PPP, the PML-N and the military and Mr. Khan may be the only viable solution to the numerous socio-economic and political issues that plague Pakistan. Almost all of our citizens believe he is incorruptible and therefore corruption will be dealt with seriously making him the only viable contender. Young Pakistanis in general, and younger urban Punjabis ("the youth") specifically seem to think he is the greatest thing to happen to Pakistan since Atif Aslam. Indeed, the man and his party have become a rallying point for those who want “Change” (Obama flashbacks anyone?).

I am about to admit something that makes most of urban Punjab look at me strangely (at times, even murderously). I am not an Imran Khan supporter (surprise of surprises!). I do not feel his agenda has been outlined properly and I feel he takes the very real and immediate threat of militancy far too lightly. I feel his alliance with the right wing ultra conservative religious parties can pressurize him into making patriarchal decisions that could affect Pakistan adversely. I think his priorities are a bit muddled, terrorism is the thing we need to fight the most as opposed to turning a blind eye to it and thinking everything will be okay once we kick America off our soil. However, all that being said, I do love the idealism he displays. For that one reason, I feel I should give him a chance to prove how liberal he is. So, despite all these reasons I have cited for not wanting Mr. Khan to run our fair country, there is still one way I (and possibly others like me) would happily vote for him (or for any other political entity that undertakes what i am about to suggest). Unlike many others, Ms. Veena Malik has exposed her assets (and has done so much more elegantly than most of our politicians could) and we have found nothing wrong with them. If any of our politicians allow her to join their party and contest elections, I will vote for said party. This I swear!